Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Our Brave Little Man





I am so proud of our little man. He was more brave than I could have ever hoped (even more brave than I was). We arrived at the hospital at 8:20, and immediately were admitted and taken to pre-op. They weighed him in at 42 pounds and dressed him in his tiny little tiger hospital gown. They gave him a dose of goofy juice. It was pretty funny watching him get more and more silly. He was playing hide and seek under the sheets, and watching cartoons. The surgeon and the anethesiologist came in and spoke with us, gave us the in's and out's of what was going to happen. Then the moment I was unprepared for... they had us give him kisses and they wheeled him away. My heart jumped into my throat, I could no longer put on the brave face and hold back the tears. The nurse consoled me with the "Honey, this is just what Mommies do." while handing me kleenex. We made our way to the waiting room... I would have never guessed that I could hold my breath that long. It was only 30 minutes and in some ways it felt like forever. The surgeon came out to tell us all had gone well. He commented on how much better he was going to sleep and breath now. He said his tonsils and aednoids were extremely large, and we should notice a difference immediately. A few moments later a nurse came and took us back to recovery were he was sleeping peacefully. I don't think I have been that anxious to see him since the day he was born. We just sat and watched him sleeping. He started coming around and crying a little... still out of sorts from the anesthetic. After about an hour, they removed the IV, and monitors, gave us his prescriptions and sent us home. He has been home recovering very well. We are so thankful for God's hand on our boy, and for all the love, support and prayers.

2 comments:

Stefanie Duncan-Shaver said...

What a champ!!! I remember when my son was just a year old and he had cellulits (serious staph infection) in his wrist and we were in another state! It was so scary, especially when they finally figured out what it was and one of the doctors says to me, "the good thing is that it isn't the flesh eating kind!" Oh my goodness, I hadn't even heard of that kind of staph infection yet!!!! They also told me that if we hadn't gotten to the ER when we did, it may have only been approx. 12 more hours and they would have had to amputate his arm because the staph infection had entered his connective tissue! Long story short, it's hard being a mom and it's so amazing that the children do so much better than us moms do in these situations! To me, EVERY surgery is SERIOUS! And until full recovery, a little worry is always there! I hope he continues to do well and I'm sure I can speak for your other friends that we really enjoy your posts and how you keep us updated. You are a beautiful and strong woman!!! Much love to you always!

Bethany Struthers said...

What a brave boy! ANd a brave mommy, for that matter! I'm sure you both did great!! Love you!